Fifteen John Jay High School students made a strong showing during the New York State Science Olympiad, held at Le Moyne College in Syracuse from March 11-12.
John Jay students finished 30th out of the top 54 schools that competed in the state event.
Congratulations to the following students who medaled in their events:
• DeeAnn Guo and Katie Ricca — Bridge Building, 2nd Place
• Nick Aoki and Justin McGowen — It’s About Time, 2nd Place
• Sam Chen and James Lucassen — Game On, 2nd Place
• Nick Aoki and DeeAnn Guo — Astronomy, 6th Place
• Angela Huang and Justin McGowen — Fossils, 9th Place
Team members Nick Aoki, DeeAnn Guo, Justin McGowen and Katie Ricca each won a $2,500 scholarship to Le Moyne College for their extraordinary performances.
Other participating team members included Lane Carbaugh, Alexandra Hall, Amanda Huang, Danielle Kulick, Evelyn Mullaney, Athena Ohnemus, Callista Ohnemus and Thomas Pickup. Building assistance was provided by David Sorkin and Matthew Sorkin.
The team is coached by faculty members Linda Burke, Emilia Camporese, Matt Funnell, Micki Green, Ann Marie Lipinsky, Jennifer McLean, Amy Shimberg, Caroline Weldon and Steven Zoeller, as well as parent Victor Aoki.